Monday, July 21, 2014

Pretty as a Peacock






Picture by Aashi








<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

As I have mentioned in my Welcome Post, almost all of my extended family lives in India. This year, my family and I got packing because we were going from America, to India for a vacation!

India's national bird is the peacock, so you are very likely to see at least one if you go there. In the photo above, I was able to quickly capture a picture of this peacock. Peacocks can be called peafowls or peahens. "Peacock" refers to the male bird, but most people call males and females a peacock. Male peafowls' feathers are are very vibrant, but female peacocks' feathers are a little dull. Long feathers grow from only the male peahen's back called a train.

 The Indian peafowl is the most common. An abundance can be found around India and Sri Lanka in the rainy season, Monsoon.

First when we were about to take a picture of this peacock, it was dancing in circles with its feathers fanned in my grandmother's garden. As soon as my mother went to get a phone to take a photo of it, it quickly closed its fan and stumbled on to the roof! After I took a picture of this peahen on the roof, I examined its feathers. The feathers looked very artificial and fancy! I am looking forward to seeing a peacock with its feathers fanned once again in India.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>




Have you ever seen a peacock? If so, where?
 
 
Do you have any other facts about a peacock?

Do you know about any other types of birds?
 









1 comment:

  1. Remember Me? I am Kayla from Mrs.Yollis's class. I Iove the peacock
    it is so beautiful& so cool!
    Where was this photo taken place?!?!

    Warmly,

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete